A BLArticle® Miniseries
Part 3 – Release The Hounds!
Several months ago, when a release date of June 3rd was finally announced for my latest book, one of my tasks was to interview potential publicists. Visions of the “Today Show” and other glamorous appearances danced through my head. That’s when I was asked this simple question: “Why do you want to be on the Today Show?” I stammered a bit, due to my embarrassment at what the truthful answer to that question would have been: “To show my family and friends how important I am.” Instead, I answered feebly: “To sell books.” That’s when the education began.
I learned the fact that glitzy television appearances don’t sell books or product anymore. Social media sells books and product. It isn’t glitzy, there isn’t a whole lot of showing off to do for family and friends, but it works. There’s only one catch. Instead of convincing one producer to listen to your message, you must convince the world.
I have been somewhat subtle regarding my requests for help in the launching of my books because my pride would not allow me to form the four words I’m about to use. These four words are the heart and soul of social media. They go like this; “I need your help.” The fact is, social media doesn’t just move product; it moves people, and I can’t do this without you. Please allow me to elaborate:
- Take a moment and review the book. The fact is this; many people do read these reviews before they buy a book. If you could write a review on Amazon.com, or BarnesandNoble.com, it would indeed help me to get the word out.
- If you haven’t watched the book Promotional Video yet, please do. It is now residing on my YouTube page, and you can also watch it below.
- Once you watch the promotional video, please take a moment to either “like” it or to write a comment about it. It makes a difference.
- This is something that helps immensely: Please post the promotional video on your Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter sites if you have them. It will take a minute or two, but it is so deeply appreciated.
- Finally, buy the book, How to Change Minds. It’s available now at Amazon.com, iTunes, and at all bookstores. You’ll find it on the new release table in the front of the Barnes & Nobel stores.
Like many, I’ve built an infrastructure for social media. I have a presence on LinkedIn, a Facebook Fan page, a YouTube page, an Amazon Author’s page, and a beautiful promotional video that tells you all you need to know about the book. Everything is now in place except one thing; you. I am dependent on people looking at my video, checking out my book, and posting comments about it.
Poet Thomas Merton once said, “Pride makes us artificial, and humility makes us real.” It’s time to release the hounds and move into the social media side of this launch. That means moving past the subtle inferences of seeking support, swallowing one’s pride, and forming these four important words. “I need your help.”